Sunday, May 22, 2011

Apple Cake

These last few weeks have been a chaos of scorching hot and wet windy afternoons. There are days where I wish the rain would fall and cool the earth, but when it pours together with the deafening thunder, boy don't we miss the sun! 

It is my 5th month in a new place, new tasks, new house, meeting new people, surrounded by new acquaintances. I moved here to do my MA, and I have to say, I've enjoyed every moment of it before the two-year break from work ends. Though I enjoy almost everything, the weather is somewhat puzzling, and is is very different compared to my hometown, Terengganu. In Terengganu, we know when it is going to rain [between July to January] and when it is going to be scorching hot. 

I can't wait for it to cool, hence the crumbly appearance. Didn't regret it though, 
hot cake+cold cream=heaven

Ok. Enough with the story. Yesterday was a wet afternoon, and after I saw this recipe here, I remember having apples in the fridge and decided to bake it. It was a challenge though, as I have never made a cake with such a large amount of fruit in it. And it's healthy too! The original recipe calls for 3/4 cups of sugar, but I think if your apples are sweet, 1/2 cup is enough. You will need:

3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs [I only have one egg in the fridge at that time, it turned out well so I guess it's your choice]
125 gm [1/2 stick] butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 cups apple, peeled, cored and diced

Steps:

1. Beat egg with electric mixer at speed 1 for 2 minutes or until creamy. 
2. Add sugar and vanilla essence, beat again until it turns out pale yellow.
3. Add butter, whisk again until everything is incorporated. 
4. Add flour little by little. Using wooden/rubber spatula, fold in the apples. 
5. The batter will be thick a little but don't worry it will rise.
6. Grease a 8 inch/7 inch cake pan*. Pour the mix and even it out using spatula.
7. Bake at 150 degrees Celcius, for 30 minutes, or your preferred baking method. 

*When I used the 8-inch pan, the cake is flat. After this I'm going to try the 7 inch and see whether it is better.

Serve with cold whipped cream. 

Meanwhile, enjoy!!!

Update: I tried using the 7-inch pan and the result is awesome! The cake looks better and as I have some patience this time, I let it cool [like, 10 minutes] before attacking it. 



Finally!!! Look at how the fruits are stacked onto each other!!!

No comments: