Sunday, May 15, 2011

Tom Yum Fried Rice with Fish Fry and Broccoli

It was the second raya day, and I can't remember the reason why there were only my brother and I at home during the second day. Anyhow, my brother's quite a cook, so since it was lunch hour already, he cooked me nasi goreng tom yum (He used to work at a hotel before so his cooking skill is quite good).

We were all ready to eat, and suddenly we heard "Assalamualaikum!". Damn...the spoon was so close to my mouth but then since it's hari raya it's a bad thing to let your guests wait for you. My brother went back to his bedroom with an empty stomache and I greeted the guests. Lucky they left as soon as I told them my mum's not home. So off we went to continue eating when ONCE AGAIN THERE WERE KNOCKS ON THE DOOR followed by "Assalamualaikum!".


My brother gave up and continued to sleep! hahahaha...meanwhile, I had to entertain those guests, making drinks and serving food...it was not until a few hours after that that we finally got to eat the nasi goreng yom yum. Luckily it still tastes good.

Enough with the story. Here's the recipe. Well, I wouldn't call it so much as a recipe, but it's a good choice when you don't know which kind of nasi goreng you wanna cook.

Ingredients:

Leftover rice about 2 cups
2 Maggi tom yum cubes
2 pieces of chicken keel, diced
1 carrot, diced
A few long beans
(Just put in whatever vegetables you like)
A few kaffir lime leaves
1 tsp salt
1 egg
2 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves red onion
3 cloves garlic

Steps:

Heat the pan. Pour oil, saute onion and garlic. After 2 minutes, add chicken keel. Cook for 5 minutes. Add rice, stir. Add the cubes, you gotta crush the cubes first. Add the vegetables and kaffir lime leaves. Lastly, add egg and salt to taste.

For the broccoli:

Heat two cups of water. When the water boils, put 1 cup of broccoli, and wait for 2 minutes. Turn the stove off, and quickly transfer the broccoli into a bowl of water and ice cubes. Let the broccoli stay in the bowl for 30 seconds, then take them out. You will have the greenest, boiled yet crunchy broccoli ever!

For fish fry:

1 egg, beaten
1 slice of dory fish, cut into two
1 cup of seasoning flour for chicken (I use Adabi)
Enough oil for frying

Steps:

Pat dry the fish. Dip the fish into the egg, then the seasoning, then egg and seasoning again. Deep fry until golden brown in medium fire.

Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

walaikum salaam
Maashallah delicious colourful presentation
we make fried rice like this and enjoy it.
Inshallah keep in touch salaams Akheela

zura.adnan said...

Thank you! Actually this story happened on Eid-ul Fitr, and we call it "Hari Raya" in Malaysia. You have a very very nice blog too! Do visit other times, ok Akheela! I'm Baizura by the way.